September 11, 2015
We All Have Different Reasons For Loving Rhode Island
• RI was the only state NOT to approve Prohibition.
• RI is the longest state name. Officially, the name of the state is Rhode Island and Providence Plantations.
• If your neighbor has more than 11 permanent vehicles in front of their home it is illegal.
• Mr. Potato Head was the first toy to be advertised on TV.
• There is still a law that an employer can be fined for making an employee work on a Sunday. The fine is $10.
• Cap guns are illegal in our state.
• All RI shores are publically owned.
• The first golf open was held in 1895 in RI.
• There are more doughnut shops per capita in Providence Metro area than anywhere.
• America’s first Jazz fest was held in 1954 in Newport
• Cumberland is the only place on EARTH that cumberlandite has been found. It’s high in iron and titanium and very magnetic.
• Rhode Island was named after a Greek island called Rhodes.
• RI founder, Gilbert Stuart, was the artist behind the George Washington portrait featured on the dollar bill.
• RI has more shipwrecks per square mile than any other state.
• RI was the very FIRST state to declare its independence on May 4, 1776.
• RI was the FIRST state to make its anti-slavery stance official passing the law as early as 1652.